There is a legend that the place where now runs the Dnipro river was the sea. When St. Andrew came to Kiev and built the cross on the hill where now stands St. Andrew's Church, the whole sea floated down. But some remained hidden under the mountain. When the later church was built here, the well was found under the altar. The St Andrew's church has no bells, because according to legend if the bell rang the water will awake and flood all the Kiev.
Andrew's descent - old picture dating back to year 1872
In 1711 by the order of the governor of Kiev the passage between the Castle mountain and the mountains of St. Andrew's has been expanded and it became accessible not only for walking and riding but also to travel by horses and oxen.
Down the Andrew's descent in the beginning of 20-th century
The name of the descent as Andrew’s appeared probably in the 18th century from St. Andrew's Church (built in 1744 - 1754rr, architect Rastrelli). Today, Andrew's descent is "Kyiv's Montmartre." Here is a favorite habitat of Kiev artists, the best art galleries, souvenir shops and various cafes. We can't imagine any of our city tours around Kiev without visiting this lovely street